Travel Things that You Will Probably Do Only Do Once In A Lifetime.
“Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.” – Benjamin Disraeli
There are many things I would like to do again in my lifetime, go back to Croatia and Turkey, spend more time in the Amazon, eat street food in Thailand and sushi at Tsukiji etc. Then there are things that I know I will only do once. (Croatia)
Climb to the top of the Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument , etc. Any monument that you climb is a “one and done” for me. (Washington)
Shop at Harrods in London or Ginza Mitsukoshi in Tokyo. The largest department store in the world is a one time visit – especially for the food areas. i can’t focus enough to buy anything. There are better places to be in these cities. (Tokyo)
Climb to the top of some big mountain like Kilamanjaro, Everest or the Matterhorn. If you are capable of doing this, it is great for your quadriceps but words like summit and base camp are frightening to me. (Kilamanjaro)
Visit the coffee shops in Amsterdam. If that is where you are spending all your time in Amsterdam, you have a problem.
See the Aurora Borealis.
Walk the Camino de Santiago.
Take a gondola ride in Venice. I had every intention of doing this but after getting woken up every morning to gondoliers singing Volare, I felt like i had done it and took a boat instead.
Visit the Grand Canyon – still have not done this
Walk the Great Wall of China.
Visit the Acropolis, Stonehenge, the Colosseum, Ephesus, Delphi, the Moabs or other famous ruins. They stay the same just a bit older.
Go to Oktoberfest in Munich, Carnaval In Rio, Running With the Bulls In Pamplona, La Tomatina in Spain, Kumbh Mela in India ,Burning Man in Nevada, Dia De Los Muertos in Mexico, Chinese New Year in China and the International Balloon Festival in New Mexico.
I still have a lot to do.
Thirty Things That I Wanted To Do 2014. Did I Do Them?
“Every hundred feet, the world changes.” Robert Boitano
- Go to Colombia. Yes
- Go To Southeast Asia. Yes
- Go to Seattle. Yes
- Read more books on the 1000 Books You Have To Read Before You Die. Yes
- Go to the theatre with my son. Yes
- Meditate every day. I think this may be like a dieting resolution. I will make it every year. Still not every day.
- Do an Urban Art tour in LA. No definitely in 2015
- Do a spa day with my daughter. Yes
- Watch even less Real Housewives. Yes they are getting boring now that so many of them are going to jail.
- Go to Guatemala. No
- Go To Miami. Yes
- Have more spiritual friends. Now I want to have less spiritual friends.
- Eat less sugar. Hmmmmm not sure but probably not.
- Go to the Bridge On The River Kwai. No
- Try ten new restaurants in LA. Yes Orsa and Winston, Bucato, Sushi Tsujita, Bachi Burger, Cleo, Republique, Wallys, Everleigh, Carousel and Escuela De Taqueria
- Try ten restaurants in other places. Yes Andres Carne De Res – Bogota Colombia, Matiz – Bogota, Colombia, Salou – Cartegena, Colombia, Morning Glory – Hoi An, Viet Nam, Golden Rice – Hue, Viet Nam, Pepper Tree – Phu Quoc, Viet Nam, Washoku Bar – Tokyo, Japan, The Dining Room – Siem Reap, Cambodia, Salumi – Seattle, Washington, Anchovy and Olive – Seattle Washington.
- Have ten meals with Kitchensurfing. Yes
- Go back to Japan. Yes
- Spend more time at 826 LA.Yes
- Practice tai chi. Yes sort of.
- Go to a ryokan.Yes
- Go To Angor Wat, YES ( a bucket list item)
- Drink less coffee maybe No
- React less. Maybe
- Go To Agua Dulce. Not yet
- Get more people to read my blog. Still trying
- Do more yoga. Yes
- Go to Bainbridge Island. Yes
- Go to the Grand Canyon. Not yet.
- Go to a Grouplove concert. Yes
Not too bad. Two thirds yes. I don’t beat myself up over stuff like this. On to the 2015 list. I’ll make it smaller and harder.
25 Things I Want To Do In 2015
1. Do something big that I am afraid of.
2. Drink less coffee.
3. Go to Rio.
4. Go To Another Grouplove concert.
5. Finish my hamburger blog.
6. Get more people to read my blog.
7. Try eleven more new restaurants in LA.
8. Try eleven restaurants in other places.
9. Go to another place on my bucket list.
10. Read more books – the kind you hold in your hand that smell like books.
11. Go to Sao Paulo..
12. Meditate every day.
13. Look up less random questions on the internet.
14. Go To Brazil.
15. Have more real friends.
16. Go to The Stanley Film Festival.
17. Get more involved at 826 LA.
18. See ten documentary films.
19. See ten foreign films
20. Eat less gluten.
21. Read more of other people’s blogs.
22. Do more beach walks.
23. Be more grateful every day.
24. Finally do that urban art tour in LA.
25. Be a tourist in LA.
Happy New Year and Fly Safe,